Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Potty!

Yesterday, while visiting with a friend I hadn't seen in a while, the conversation turned to potty training. Kasia had just gotten up from her nap and my girlfriend asked if I was going to put her on the potty. I gave her "the look". The look that said, "You're kidding right?"


Potty training, to me, is like one of the great mysteries of the universe. I've always had it in my mind that it would just sort of happen. Do I realize that's crazy? Of course I do. Don't get me wrong, I've made some feable attempts at putting Kasia on the potty but never with any success, so I figured she just wasn't ready. Her preschool teacher also used to sit her on the potty each day. Again, without success. I chalked this up to what I had originally been told and read about Kasia's genetic condition as it related to her development - that she probably wouldn't potty train until much much later - some reports even suggested it wasn't at all possible. Why oh why haven't I learned by now??

So this morning, filled with a new determination to crack this potty mystery, I asked Kasia if she'd like to sit on her potty. The fact that she didn't run from me like a wild jackrabbit was encouragment enough, so we tried. She sat, I sang, and water poured from the tap to help her along. And it happened! Glory be, the child peed! I couldn't believe it! There was lots of clapping and praising and both Kasia and I were pretty darn pleased with ourselves.

Obviously one pee doesn't a potty-trained-toddler make, but it's a start!

Today, is a good day!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Congratulations to both of you! It's funny because I've been thinking about when I should think about it but then I think I should just think about it another time.

A great start!